lprng uses private Kerberos Functions?

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri Feb 22 11:32:01 EST 2002

>> >  > krb5_read_message, krb5_write_message, krb5_xfree, valid_cksumtype

While I understand about krb5_xfree() and the whole crypto library
thing with valid_cksumtype(), I don't feel it's fair to call
krb5_{read,write}_message an internal function.  I don't believe it's
used by any code in Kerberos other than the examples, _and_ it's even
mentioned in the Kerberos API document.  It's reasonable for a developer
to conclude that it's a public function.

I don't think it _should_ be a public function (and it's not like you
couldn't replicate it with 5-10 lines of code), but I think it's better
to call it a mistake and yank it out of the library completely with
perhaps some notes saying, "If you were using this function, here's
what you need to do".  And removing it from the API document might not be
a bad idea, since that's what many people out here have been living and
dying by for years.

--Ken