Problems with Kerberos for Mac OS X and FreeBSD Kerberos 5 server.

Carmi Weinzweig majortom at doar.math.uic.edu
Tue Feb 12 16:16:01 EST 2002

Hello. I am trying to set up a small Kerberos testbed (using my home systems) in advance of a deployment for several labs of Mac OS X machines. I went through the Oakridge guide on how to Kerberize my site but seem to be having problems somewhere (I assume that I have a configuration file wrong some where, but I can't really figure out where. Since I am using the Mac OS X beta on an OS X system running UFS (instead of the guaranteed insecure HFS), I am not sure exactly what the problem is. Scott McGuire suggested that I send this list mail for some help.

My testbed is very simple:

    1 FreeBSD server (Version 4.5) running the krb5 package that installs Kerberos 5-1.2.3 which acts as the KDC. It is listed in DNS as yavneh.wg.rfc-holdings.com with an IP address of 209.26.224.131

    1 G4 running Mac OS 10.1.2 with the Kfm 4.0b7 installed. It is not listed in DNS although it is locally known as massada.wg.rfc-holdings.com with an IP address of 209.26.224.133

I have included the two configuration files from the FreeBSD system and the configuration file from the Mac, as well as the two log files from the FreeBSD system.

Finally, here is the session log from typing the kinit on the mac:
[massada:/Library/Preferences] majortom% kinit majortom/admin
kinit(v5): Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm while getting initial credentials
Password for majortom/admin at wg.rfc-holdings.com:
kinit(v4): Can't send request (send_to_kdc)
[massada:/Library/Preferences] majortom%

I am sure that I have made a simple configuration error, but I can't figure out what it is. Any help I can get would much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

/carmi