Comments on the rlogin/kcmd thread

Jason Garman jgarman at wedgie.org
Thu Aug 8 13:17:01 EDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 03:10:35PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:

> Finally, some concerns were raisd that dropping the applications would
> make Kerberos less attractive to new users and might harm the
> technology.  So far, we haven't seen justification of that concern
> sufficient to make us want to continue maintaining the applications.
> We are interested in any additional arguments in this area.

A few thoughts:

- Most PC X server products still only have support for Kerberized Telnet
  to launch X clients on Unix hosts... thus ktelnet will continue to be
  an important part of those doing cross-platform single-sign-on
  .. they're starting to integrate ssh support, but since there doesn't
  seem to be a widely deployed standard on gssapi-ssh...

- It's nice to have the sample applications in there to test and make
  sure the basic functionality is working, plus it establishes a "base
  line" functionality requirement, especially for vendors.

(Somewhat off topic...) Personally, I'd like to see better coordination
between MIT and the Heimdal group on APIs, since its annoying to
constantly encounter software that will compile with one and not the
other.  There's also a few instances where error messages from the KDC on
one will be misinterpreted by libraries for the other.

enjoy
Jason Garman / jgarman at wedgie.org