GetErrorLongString for error 20071

Alexandra Ellwood lxs at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 24 11:30:00 EDT 2002

>A user reports getting the error message "Unknown Error20071" from a
>beta release of Fetch 4.0.2, using KfM 4.0 on Mac OS X.  The error
>string is generated by GetErrorLongString.  It appears that 20000 is
>the base error code for KClient calls, and so 20071 is (from krb.h):
>
>#define         AD_NOTGT   71	/* Don't have tgt */

Yup, that's correct.

>Shouldn't GetErrorLongString generate a nicer message?

Unfortunately the error library only has error messages for some of
the error codes returned by KClient.  If you really want text
messages for these errors right now, you need to handle remapped
Kerberos 4 errors yourself.  Basically if the error is between
kcFirstKerberosError and  kcLastKerberosError, subtract
kcFirstKerberosError and call into the error library.

I'll add this to the list of feature requests, but you should be
aware that the Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X CFM versions of the error
library are feature frozen.  Any change I make will only affect
Mach-O applications on X.  Sorry.

(If you do decide to port to Mach-O, you should access the error
strings from the com_err API by calling error_message().  We no
longer export two error APIs to application developers.)

>Also, is there some obvious reason why a user would get that error code?

Presumably because they don't have a ticket for the requested
principal.  Perhaps they cancelled out of the Login dialog?  I need
more information about exactly what the user did, whether they have
tickets, etc.

Hope this helps,

--lxs