Multi-realm Database propagation problem.

Austin Gonyou austin at coremetrics.com
Wed Apr 17 16:43:00 EDT 2002

I made a copy of my kerberos-master KDC setup, and put it on the
kerberos-slave1 system. I added host principals for the KDCs and put
them in krb5.keytab like the documentation stated, then I ensured the
same keytab exists on the KDCs.

I am on linux so I am using xinetd, but I created a krb5_prop file and
it works, at least I think it does, xinetd starts fine, sockets are
open.

I did a krb5_util dump /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans. (this will
only take the default_realm from my krb5.conf, I know.)

ensured that all host/NAME principals are in kpropd.acl on the master
and slave KDCs.

then I run kprop:
[root at Kerberos-Master root]# kprop -f
/var/kerberos/krb5kdc/slave_datatrans kerberos-slave1
kprop: Bad encryption type while getting initial ticket

I can krlogin and krsh ATM as root, without a password, no problem. So
where's the problem it's talking about? I've watched my messages file,
(where I'm putting all kdc messages), and only see a requested ticket by
root for kerberos-slave1. I'm not using DNS, as this is a closed setup,
and I don't care about that ATM. What's the problem here?

Any help is much appreciated.

--
Austin Gonyou
Systems Architect, CCNA