Problem with KfW 2.1.1 at Lincoln Labs - getting K5, but not K4 ticket ???

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 16 15:07:00 EDT 2002

I'm not especially familiar with the exact code base used by KfW for
krb4 support; it's different from the code we use on UNIX, but there's
some common history.

> lrealm is ATHENA.MIT.EDU
> krb_udp_port is 88
> Getting host entry for kerberos.mit.edu..
> Didn't get it.
> krb_udp_port is 88
> Getting host entry for kerberos-1.mit.edu..
> Didn't get it.
> krb_udp_port is 88
> Getting host entry for kerberos-2.mit.edu..
> Didn't get it.
> send_to_kdc: can't find any Kerberos host.

If the KfW code isn't too different from the current UNIX code, this
indicates that gethostbyname() failed on the indicated hostname.  One
thing here that catches my attention is the two dots after each
hostname.  In the UNIX code, there are three dots added, so this is
likely a small point of divergence.  If the KfW code is adding only
one, then the hostnames you're getting have trailing dots (standard
with BIND-like resolvers or maybe DNS in general to indicate a fully
qualified name) and maybe those are giving Windows some problems?  If
KfW is adding two dots, then that part of the output looks fine, and
I'm not sure why the hostname lookup would be failing....