Please Review Changes to Windows Exports List for krb5 1.2.5 in KfW 2.2

Ken Raeburn raeburn at MIT.EDU
Mon Apr 15 16:34:01 EDT 2002

"Danilo Almeida" <dalmeida at MIT.EDU> writes:
> Jeffrey Altman reported that Kermit 95 uses krb5_free_host_realm() and
> krb5_get_host_realm() and that removing these functions from the Windows
> exports list would be very problematic for Kermit 95.
>
> Sam Hartman and Danilo Almeida asked other developers whether there was
> a good reason to pull these functions out.

We're a bit schizophrenic on the "host's realm" issue.  This interface
supports the notion of a host being "in" multiple realms.  Other
interfaces we have do not.  We need to figure out which way it goes,
and fix the API to be consistent.

If we really need to have these functions available right now, we
could change get_host_realm later to always return a single realm and
then document that as a backwards-compatible update to the API, *if*
we decide that's the approach to take.  If we go with multiple realms
for a host, then I expect we have several other parts of the API that
need updating.

That's not a decisions to be made based on the most convenient way to
change the API; it's a Kerberos protocol and administration design
issue.  Probably it should be taken up on the Kerberos working group
list.

Ken