recent certificate failure for pkinit

Carson Gaspar carson at taltos.org
Mon Jul 8 17:52:21 EDT 2024

On 7/8/2024 2:54 PM, Matt Zagrabelny via Kerberos wrote:
> Greetings Kerberos-users,
>
> I've been successfully using OTP and pkinit for the past year or so. Within
> the last week, or so, it has started to fail with:
>
> client:
> $ /usr/bin/kinit -n -c /tmp/.kerberos_cache
> kinit: Preauthentication failed while getting initial credentials
>
> KDC:
> KDC_RETURN_PADATA:WELLKNOWN/ANONYMOUS at EXAMPLE.COM  for krbtgt/
> EXAMPLE.COM at EXAMPLE.COM, Failed to verify own certificate (depth 0): unable
> to get local issuer certificate

I've run into this error before. MIT's KDC, for some bizarre reason,
insists that its server cert validate against the same set of CAs used
to authorize client PKINIT certs. This is insecure and a terrible idea,
but oh well. So make sure that the KDC server cert validates against the
set of CAs you've specified in the config file.

If you want more debugging, AFAIK you'll need to recompile the pkinit
plugin and set a CPP debug macro to 1 to get more useful info out of it
(and the debug output goes to stderr as I recall).

--

Carson