kerberos client on windows not being able to access credentials cache ("Internal credentials cache error")

Ken Hornstein kenh at cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon Mar 20 10:10:29 EDT 2023

>I have to apologize to everyone here and thank you and Sam for your
>feedback: the tone of my original message was an edge to sharp. I should
>have had my frustration under control that my asking a lowly question
>gets no reply on a mailing list with evidently a kiloton of critically
>condensed knowledge in the subject matter. Of course nobody owes me
>nothing here - sorry.

Thank you; I for one appreciate your apology.

>> Judging by the thread you posted, it sure seems like the problem
>> was specific to the Postgresql implementation on Windows so it's not
>> surprising nobody here would be an expert on that.
>
>The question was in fact not specific to Postgresql. It was pretty much
>a generic "I can't get my windows client to authenticate via
>SSPI/AD/Kerberos". It was just that it was psql that showed the symptoms
>and that I as a newbie in the subject matter was caught up in that
>oekosystem. However the problem is/was a generic client ->
>SSPI/AD/Kerberos one.

Weeeelll ... I was curious and I re-read that thread, and it sure seems
like the problem was kind of Postgres-specific, in that: Postgres on
Windows is compiled with both SSPI and GSSAPI support, you were trying
to use the GSSAPI support and it didn't work (but it wasn't clear that
you had even launched or configured MIT KfW at all), and it worked fine
when you configured Postgres it to use SSPI support.

--Ken