appl/simple/client/sim_client.c uses internal APIs

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 06:15:05 EST 2023

* Sam Hartman:

>     Simo> Wherever possible you should recommend people use GSSAPI and
>     Simo> not krb5 APIs directly, unless they are building tools
>     Simo> specifically to manage aspects of krb5 (acquiring tickets,
>     Simo> managing ccaches, etc.)
>
> I agree with the above.
> I also think that the simple client referred to in the subject has a
> bunch of anti-patterns.
> As an example, I don't think it integrity protects or encrypts its
> exchanges; I think it's too simple to actually be useful in today's
> world.
>
> That said,  it looks like krb5_auth_con_genaddrs is probably the API you
> want to use instead of krb5_gen_portaddr.  It takes an auth context and
> a socet FD and extracts addresses from the socket FD.
>
> I suspect that the auth context machinery will generate the replay cache
> name for you, and again,  you don't need that API either.
> But please use GSS-API instead:-)

I need to fix Authen::Krb5 (a Perl wrapper) not rely on this krb5
internals.  Obviously, this is going to stay a krb5 wrapper, and won't
switch to GSSAPI.  So I'd really appreciate if someone would fix the
appl/simple/client/sim_client.c example not to rely on <k5-int.h>, so
that I can apply the parallel changes to the Perl port of this example
code.

The alternative would be to delete all this code from Authen::Krb5.
(The wrappers for non-public krb5 functions have to go either way.)

Thanks,
Florian