kadmin not working after server migration, but kdc works

Wouter Verhelst w at uter.be
Wed Sep 21 03:45:51 EDT 2022

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 12:56:51PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <w at uter.be> writes:
> > On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 11:43:40AM -0400, Greg Hudson wrote:
>
> >> From experience, this probably means you have a single-DES enctype
> >> listed in supported_enctypes and are using release 1.18.  (In 1.17 or
> >> previous the enctype would be recognized; in 1.19 or later the library
> >> would ignore the enctype rather than failing out.)  Remove the
> >> single-DES enctype and kadmind should start working again.
>
> > So, supported_enctypes is not even in the krb5.conf file; I assume that
> > means it then reverts to defaults?
>
> That's your krb5.conf, but the error message is about your kdc.conf
> (/etc/krb5kdc/kdc.conf).  It has its own separate supported_enctypes
> setting.

My kdc.conf currently looks like this:

-----
[kdcdefaults]
    kdc_ports = 750,88

[realms]
    GREP.BE = {
        database_name = /var/lib/krb5kdc/principal
        admin_keytab = FILE:/etc/krb5kdc/kadm5.keytab
        acl_file = /etc/krb5kdc/kadm5.acl
        key_stash_file = /etc/krb5kdc/stash
        kdc_ports = 750,88
        max_life = 10h 0m 0s
        max_renewable_life = 7d 0h 0m 0s
        master_key_type = des3-hmac-sha1
        default_principal_flags = +preauth
        default_principal_expiration = 0
    }
-----

Adding a line "supported_enctypes = DEFAULT" in either the "kdcdefaults"
or "GREP.BE" section did not fix the issue.

It might be the "master_key_type" thing? But the issue exists in 1.17, too.

--
     w at uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.