Always prompting for OTP

BuzzSaw Code buzzsaw.code at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:40:41 EDT 2022

On Tue, May 10, 2022 at 2:05 PM Russ Allbery <eagle at eyrie.org> wrote:

> BuzzSaw Code <buzzsaw.code at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > A bad side effect of this behavior is that the calling PAM module never
> > gets that OTP value so it isn't available for other modules in the
> > stack, so they too prompt for credentials because they think the
> > password has not been entered yet.
>
> What behavior do you expect here?  For the full OTP+password string to be
> carried over to other modules in the stack, or only the password?

We want the full OTP+password string just passed without modification.  It
would also be nice if when we use
try_first_pass/use_first_pass/force_first_pass options with pam_krb5 that
it actually did that in the OTP case without the extra prompt.  no_prompt
doesn't help as the password doesn't stay on the stack.

In this use case we're dealing with systems that use OpenPAM vs Linux-PAM
so we don't have any of  the more advanced syntax to skip modules.  We
can't use 'sufficient' to immediately jump out of the stack as we want some
of the later modules to run.