Kerberos Server Implementation

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 21 13:40:18 EST 2022

src/appl/simple

For a real example, see github, clhedrick/kerberos.git, in directory kmkhomedir

This is a client-server pair designed to create home directories for users. When you’re using kerberized NFS the normal pam_mkhomedir won’t work, because it assumes that root can create directories in the file system. With kerberized NFS, root has no special privileges. So we have a pam_kmkhomedir that calls a process on the file server to do the creation.

If I were doing it again, I’d probably write it using GSSAPI rather than a basic Kerberos client / server. Then I could write the server as a web service in python and use libcurl on the client side. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be practical to write a pam module in anything other than C, but with libcurl all the GSSAPi stuff is handled by the library. If the client isn’t a pam module, it’s easy enough to write a GSSAPI client in python. (I can give you example client-server if you need it.)