heimdal http proxy

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Sat Sep 11 14:22:48 EDT 2021

Hello Charles,

> I???d like to be able to use Kerberos SPNEGO at home. Unfortunately the Mac uses Heimdal.

SPNEGO has really a low security level.  I am surprised this is considered
acceptable for a https proxy.

We are working on two better solutions, with software that classifies only
little over "proof of concept'.

 - TLS-KDH to integrate Kerberos authentication with ECDH encryption;
   this combination is in fact Quantum Proof

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-vanrein-tls-kdh

 - HTTP-SASL integrates SASL as a HTTP authentication mechanism, and this
   is meant to allow Kerberos as well.  In contrast with SPNEGO, it would
   be possible to require Channel Binding (at least to the webserver _name_).

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-vanrein-httpauth-sasl

Take note: These have not even been proposed on this list, simply due to
lack of time to actively discuss it (been mostly occupied with this and
related implementations).  So at best this could be a future opportunity.
Still, your usecase may help to propell the work forward, so please share
if this would be helpful for your situation.  You may want to pass this
by your sysadmin too.

Cheers,
 -Rick