DNS host mapping

Mike Landis darkskyanarchy at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 23:11:28 EDT 2021

I have a local (192.168.0.xxx) machine that I can successfully access over
the local network via Putty (without Kerberos) and MobaXterm.  I've added
an alias for the target machine to the Windows etc/hosts file (which
successfully facilitates pings to it by name) and added an entry for that
machine in my router's DNS Host Mapping index (which had no effect on
anything that I'm aware of).  I own the domain 3c58.com (which is routable
on the Internet, so I named the local machine Level10.3c58.com.  I'd like
kerberos to create tickets for that machine, but I have run out of ideas on
how to get that to happen under present circumstances.  Is there some way
to convince Kerberos to look at the hosts file on windows or somehow tap
the router's domain name server?  Is this behavior a bug or intended
security behavior?

Thanks, Mike Landis