MIT Kerberos Master principal deletion

D'Angelo, Jeff C jcd at psu.edu
Sat Jun 20 13:19:57 EDT 2020

Sorry, I must have misunderstood you.  When you said:
While going through all the KDC related files, I came across all the files
which get created while the kdc database was created for the first time.
I was wondering is there any way to restore the master key using either the
stash file? or either using the database file which resides in the
/var/log/kerberos/krb5kdc location?
We have both the stash files and the principal.db file. When I open the
file although it's not text readable, I can see the K/M at REALM principal
details in this file.
I thought you said you found another old copy of the principal database file in /var/log/kerberos/krb5kdc (or was that a typo for where the prod db lives in /var/lib/kerberos/krb5kdc?) from before the deletion of K/M occurred.  If you did, that would make this easier as it seems existing tools could remedy the problem (dump the K/M entry from that other DB and then load -update into your prod one).

The trick is to make sure it's the correct K/M with the original key you had, but I have some suggestions on how to test that before you affect prod.  If you happened to find the original password you used to create the database, that would also work.  Heck, even if you only have some guesses as to what the original password was, that could also help.

But still, finding the stash file (which is presumably the correct one) is a big help and avoids needing to hunt it down out of a core file.

--

Jeff