MIT Kerberos Master principal deletion

Harshawardhan Kulkarni harshawardhan.rk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 18:27:54 EDT 2020

Hi Team,

I am reaching out back again with my existing issue regarding master key
deletion. I am trying ways to somehow restore it although I don't have a
dump of the KDC.
Re-creating is the last option for me as the cluster is live and a lot of
people are using it.

While going through all the KDC related files, I came across all the files
which get created while the kdc database was created for the first time.
I was wondering is there any way to restore the master key using either the
stash file? or either using the database file which resides in the
/var/log/kerberos/krb5kdc location?
We have both the stash files and the principal.db file. When I open the
file although it's not text readable, I can see the K/M at REALM principal
details in this file.

So is there any way to restore the master key using this principal.db file
or the .k5.... stash file?

Thanks,
Harsh