[EXT] 'HANDLE_AUTHDATA' error when trying to setup Kerberos trust between AD and FreeIPA

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 22:20:44 EDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 15, 2020 at 9:49 PM Robert Sturrock <rns at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi Dmitri,
>
> Sorry - I did not give all the background in the interests of brevity.  We
> do not want to establish a full trust between AD and IPA (at this stage).
> This is for a number of reasons, but is primarily a reluctance to bring a
> very large and entirely irrelevant set of AD groups across to IPA-enrolled
> hosts.
>
> The IPA installation is running in a ‘winsync’ arrangement with AD, but as
> a convenience for the users it would be useful if a TGT from AD were
> sufficient to access services in the IPA realm, to save them having to
> ‘kinit' to another kerberos realm.
>
> So I’m interested in establishing a trust at the Kerberos level only.  We
> have done this successfully between a legacy MIT kerberos service and IPA,
> so I hoped we could also set one up between AD and IPA, before running into
> the error I described.
>
> Any clues as to what the reason for the ‘HANDLE_AUTHDATA’ error might be?

Thanks for the explanation.
I suspect that IdM does not know anything about the principal you are using
and thus fails to fetch/process authorization data that it needs to put
into the ticket.
But this is my pure speculation based on a general understanding of the IPA
architecture.
You might get better help on the freeipa-users list but frankly I am not
sure anyone tried or would recommend such a setup there. You are crossing
uncharted territory for sure.

Thanks
Dmitri

dpal at redhat.com