'HANDLE_AUTHDATA' error when trying to setup Kerberos trust between AD and FreeIPA

Robert Sturrock rns at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Jun 15 02:25:31 EDT 2020

Hi All,

I’m trying to create a (one-way) Kerberos trust between AD and a FreeIPA installation, such that user TGTs from AD can be used to access resources in the IPA realm.

I followed some (non-IPA related) steps for setting up Kerberos trusts between AD and MIT Kerberos - essentially creating a common TGT principal in both systems with a common password.  This works to a point (ie. I can get the TGT for IPA using the AD TGT), but when I try to fetch a service ticket in the IPA domain I get a ‘HANDLE_AUTHDATA’ error.

Here is what I’m seeing:

 (AD domain = ‘STAFF.LOCALREALM'; IPA domain = ‘PALLAS.LOCALREALM')

 # Get AD TGT:
 Password for rns at STAFF.LOCALREALM: XXXXXXXXX

 $ klist
 Ticket cache: KEYRING:persistent:10846:10846
 Default principal: rns at STAFF.LOCALREALM

 11/06/20 13:34:19  11/06/20 23:34:19  krbtgt/STAFF.LOCALREALM at STAFF.LOCALREALM
         renew until 12/06/20 13:34:18

 # Use AD TGT to get an IPA TGT:
 $ kvno krbtgt/PALLAS.LOCALREALM at STAFF.LOCALREALM
 krbtgt/PALLAS.LOCALREALM at STAFF.LOCALREALM: kvno = 0

 $ klist
 Ticket cache: KEYRING:persistent:10846:10846

 11/06/20 13:34:24  11/06/20 23:34:19  krbtgt/PALLAS.LOCALREALM at STAFF.LOCALREALM
         renew until 12/06/20 13:34:18
 11/06/20 13:34:19  11/06/20 23:34:19  krbtgt/STAFF.LOCALREALM at STAFF.LOCALREALM
         renew until 12/06/20 13:34:18

 # Try to fetch an IPA service ticket:
 $ kvno host/palladium1.localdomain at PALLAS.LOCALREALM
 kvno: KDC returned error string: HANDLE_AUTHDATA while getting credentials for host/palladium1.localdomain at PALLAS.LOCALREALM

Can anyone provide some idea as to what’s going on here and how I resolve this?  I don’t really know what ‘HANDLE_AUTHDATA’ indicates and I’m not able to find a lot of documentation explaining this.

Thanks!

Robert.