Kerberos Database Sync with Sub-Domains

Jonathan Towles jjtowles at synterex.com
Tue Jul 14 08:18:01 EDT 2020

Hi Bryan,

I think essentially the issue/question that comes up is what happens when you have say 5 domains, and you have people with the say domain name in those 5 domains.

So here's the use case:

Let's say I have 5 domains:

Synterex.com
Boston.synterex.com
Ny.synterex.com
Miami.synterex.com
Dallas.synterex.com

When I move to Office 365, I have to make my SMTP and UPN match. This will now make it so everyone in all 5 domains has a UPN ending in synterex.com

So, now I have an issue where you have user accounts in 5 domains all with the same REALM of SYNTEREX.COM.

In this situation, there's only two ways this can still work:

1. You move everyone to the synterex.com domain which can be a real nightmare
2. You find a way to point all authentication against the Synterex.com KDC and still be able to get tickets for users living in the sub-domains

I'm not sure if you can actually make #2 work or not. When I have tried, I get user not found in the database issues.

Jon Towles
CTO, Synterex
(m) 978-609-5545