Questions about supported_enctypes

Dan Mahoney (Gushi) danm at prime.gushi.org
Sat May 18 22:49:44 EDT 2019

All,

When I kinit from my macOS mojave machine against $dayjob's kdc, I get the
following

mustelid:~ dmahoney$ kinit
dmahoney at FOO.ORG's password:
Encryption type des3-cbc-sha1(16) used for authentication is weak and will
be deprecated

Searching for this message yields surprisingly little.

My install of mojave has no krb5.conf, so it's using whatever the
compiled-in defaults are.  Here are my questions, then.

q1: Is there a way of seeing what those are?  (Or, of spewing out a
krb5.conf that reflects the defaults?)

q2: Is there a way of seeing which enctypes are supported on a krb5kdc
(i.e. as part of the kinit process, not by looking in the filesystem).

q3: On the same note, what are others in the modern world moving to with
this algo being deprecated?  Is there a current recommendation?  If one
disables des3-cbc-sha1, what versions of kerberos are you effectively
blackholing?

I've found links on the mit.edu page about des
(single-des) being deprecated, but not 3des yet:

https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/krb5-1.12/doc/admin/advanced/retiring-des.html

But deprecation of 3des is mentioned in this internet draft:

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-curdle-des-des-des-die-die-die-01.html

(I have no idea about apple's internal processes, or what other vendors
are following suit).

-Dan