Relation between krb5_creds and krb5_context

Philipp Gesang philipp.gesang at intra2net.com
Tue Jul 16 10:23:24 EDT 2019

Hi,

what is the significance of the krb5_context that
krb5_free_creds() takes as its first argument? As far as I can
see none of the functions down the call graph do anything with it
nor is the context stored in krb5_creds and its members.
Nevertheless, the API expects non-const pointer to be passed.

My reflex is to simply pass NULL instead of the context. I am
wondering though how future-proof this will be. Are credentials
somehow tied to the context they were obtained with?

FWIW the question came up in the context (n. p. i.) of keeping
credentials around in memory and accessing them from threads that
each have their own krb5_context.

Thanks,
Philipp