Kerberos n00b question.

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Jan 7 21:57:35 EST 2019

On 1/7/19 7:31 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> If you want to go down this path, I would take a look at PKINIT, which
> replaces the initial authentication request using a password-derived key
> with X.509 mutual authentication.

I'll definitely be taking a look at PKINIT, SPAKE, HTTPS proxy, and OTP
as they relate to Kerberos.

I want to understand what they are, what they do, and how they do it
from a high level.  That way I can make a (somewhat) informed decision
if I want to integrate them into my sandbox / lab / scratch monkey
environment or not.

> You have to figure out a PKI strategy to give the users certificates, but
> that then effectively gives you what you describe: a password-protected
> random key.

ACK

Thank you for letting me know.  :-)

> I have also implemented half-assed versions of this, such as putting
> a service with permissions to mint Kerberos TGTs for users behind SSH
> public key authentication, so that users can use an SSH keypair to get
> a Kerberos TGT.

I'm intrigued.  But I suspect I should stick with the relatively
straight and narrow while doing due diligence and learning about
Kerberos and how to get rid of my n00b feathers.

> The client/server exchange uses GSS-API, which is fine on its own and
> doesn't rely on the SSH encrypted tunnel to be secure.

I'm glad to have that confirmed.

That supports my understanding that the somewhat sensitive (as in I
don't want it on the open Internet for anyone to see) client <-> KDC is
where I need to play it safer.

> You may or may not want to think about the chain of trust for the server
> (i.e., how do you know that you're scp'ing the keytab to the correct
> machine).

I agree with your thought process.  That's way out in front of me for
now.  I'm looking at testing Kerberos in my (lab) LAN and pontificating
using GSS-API to authenticate things like SSH, and eventually IMAPS &
SMTP (w/ STARTTLS), to select few test VPSs.  This is still very much
exploratory phase with pet systems.  I don't have a good enough
understanding of the Kerberos technology to even think about applying it
to cattle VPSs yet.  Slow steps.  Understand who, what, when, where,
why, and how before running.

> In an ideal world, the machine is launched with some existing credentials
> (like a TLS private key) that are installed on it securely, and then
> you use those credentials to bootstrap other credentials it needs,
> such as keytabs.

Agreed.  When I get there.

For now, it's pet VPSs that I'm already logging into via ssh keys /
certificates and trust (as much as reasonably possible).  I'm 99%
confident that when I push a keytab to the server, that it will be the
server that I'm expecting.

But duly noted on your concern and idea about priming.

Thank you again for your insight Russ.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die