Setting up the KDC ldap backend

John Byrne jhnbyrn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:31:16 EST 2019

In case anyone has a similar issue, I was able to get it set up eventually.
The problem was that I needed to create the "dc=example,dc=com" entry
first. I don't understand why I was able to create a rootdn user called
"cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" if "dc=example,dc=com" doens't exist, but
anyway I created a ldif file like this:

dn: dc=example,dc=com
objectClass: domain

And after running ldapmodify on that, I was able to finish creating the
krb5 database.

Thanks,
John

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 12:21 PM John Byrne <jhnbyrn at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> it's own on that site too:
>
> https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/79806/how-to-setup-openldap-24-on-centos-7.html
>
> And that explained how to set up the user with the access I needed - that
> got me past that error from my last email.
>
> Now I'm getting this:
>
> $ kdb5_ldap_util -D cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com -H ldapi:/// create -s
> Password for "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com":
> Initializing database for realm 'EXAMPLE.COM'
> You will be prompted for the database Master Password.
> It is important that you NOT FORGET this password.
> Enter KDC database master key:
> Re-enter KDC database master key to verify:
> kdb5_ldap_util: Kerberos Container create FAILED: No such object while
> creating realm 'EXAMPLE.COM'
>
> I'll take a look at the tutorial you linked to, but I just thought I'd
> post this and see if anyone recognizes the error message.
>
> -John
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 11:49 AM Todd Grayson <tgrayson at cloudera.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure whats going on with the error message you are seeing.
>>
>> AS far as how to info: The hortonworks community has a walkthrough of MIT
>> KDC with LDAP backend on CentOS7, here:
>>

>> https://community.hortonworks.com/articles/199542/configuring-kerberos-with-openldap-back-end.html
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:33 PM John Byrne <jhnbyrn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to set up the KDC with the LDAP plugin. I've been using:
>>>
>>> https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/admin/conf_ldap.html
>>> and
>>>
>>> https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/admin/advanced/ldapbackend.html#ldap-be-ubuntu
>>>
>>> as references (I'm not using Ubuntu, I'm using CentOS 7 but most of the
>>> info on the Ubuntu page above seems to be fairly generic).
>>>
>>> When I run the command to create the database, it challenges me for a
>>> password. I didn't set one up, and if I just hit enter, I get this:
>>>
>>> $ sudo kdb5_ldap_util -D cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com -H ldapi:/// create
>>> -s
>>> Password for "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com":
>>> kdb5_ldap_util: Cannot allocate memory while retrieving ldap
>>> configuration
>>>
>>> Now, I don't really know much about LDAP, so I could be missing
>>> something.
>>> Do I have to create "cn=admin,dc=example,dc=com" as a user somehow
>>> before I
>>> run this?
>>>
>>> I've tried reading up on LDAP, but I haven't found anything that explains
>>> what I need to do here. I'm looking for a shortcut to the quickest
>>> possible
>>> setup - I don't really need LDAP except that I'm trying to test
>>> constrained
>>> delegation in a web application, and apparently that only works with the
>>> LDAP backend.
>>>
>>> Can anyone explain what's the bare minimum I need to do to get this

>>> John