Decrypt integrity check failed while getting initial ticket

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at mit.edu
Mon Dec 9 13:31:19 EST 2019

Answering only the unimportant part for lack of insight on the other one...

On Mon, Dec 09, 2019 at 10:04:17AM -0800, Stephen Carville (Kerberos List) wrote:
> Recently I migrated the kerberos master and one slave to another
> location using tool called "Zerto".  Perhaps coincidentally, replication
> broke with the above error message. I checked that DNS A and PTR records
> for all the servers are correct.  I can get a ticket using kinit (kinit
> -k host/<hostname>). I finally recreated the keytab file
> (/etc/krb5.keytab) and propagated it to the other three servers.  Still
> no replication.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> BTW, while trying to fix it, I noticed that every time I use ktadd to
> add a key to krb5.keytab the KVNO increments.  Is that normal?

Yes, that is normal.  Otherwise any administrator with "extract keytab"
permissions could ~silently fetch the currently in-use keys for a service
and start decrypting or forging traffic; requiring a kvno increment (and
new random key) makes the operation more noticeable and prevents the
exfiltration of the live, in-use, key material.

-Ben