non-POSIX use in yacc with getdate.y

Osipov, Michael michael.osipov at siemens.com
Tue Sep 25 06:46:42 EDT 2018

Hi folks,

I have recently compiled MIT Kerberos 1.16.1 on HP-UX and yacc failed with:

> "./kadmin/cli/getdate.y", line 180: fatal error: invalid escape, or illegal reserved word: expect

Change introduced in
https://github.com/krb5/krb5/commit/28fd0a934cdc7b3b42ce213c6d334d4edf1ab591#diff-db7f4e6f3883dd26b97f7b3e10697846R180.

I contacted HPE about this and it turned out that their yacc
implementation does not support extensions as the GNU or BSD
counterparts do.

I'd like to have this fixed somehow and there are several ways to do this:

* Remove this line manually before compiling on the platform which does
not support this "%expect" extension
* Revert the commit and live with the verbose output
* Test for this extension in the configure.ac script
* Require GNU bison if yacc is POSIX only. Note I am reluctant to this
because this is merely one line for less verbose output?

Any comments from the devs?

Regards,

Michael