"kdb5_util load -update" best practice

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Sat Sep 22 10:39:50 EDT 2018

On 09/22/2018 09:44 AM, John Devitofranceschi wrote:
> In order to remedy this, we tried using a pre-mistake backup (dump format) of the kdb to restore the principals:
>
>      kdb5_util load -update dumpfile principal
>
> However this did not work. This is what’s documented in the MIT docs.  We were expecting to be able to run this once per missing principal.

I found an example in database.rst which implies this capability, and
yeah, it's wrong.  The kdb5_util man page instead says that load has an
optional dbname parameter at the end, which is also wrong (and wouldn't
make much sense; such a parameter would be redundant with kdb5_util -d).

I will consider adding a principal matching feature to kdb5_util load,
and will definitely make a pass over the dump/load documentation for
accuracy.

> Is there any easier way to do this?

I probably would have filtered the dump file with text processing.

> When when loaded the missing principals, we shut down kadmind. Was this necessary? Or will kdb5_util lock the KDB properly when loading?

Shutting down kadmind was not necessary.

> When the missing principals were being added, the load process also reported that it added polices.  Why did it do that? If the policies are already there, is this a no-op?

It looks like when kdb5_util dump is given principal names, it still
dumps policy entries; that should probably be considered a bug.  The
policy load operations were not no-ops; if there were any changes to
policy entries between the dump file and the current state, those
changes have likely been reverted.