krb5 ccache of MEMORY type

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Fri Jun 29 15:46:49 EDT 2018

On 06/29/2018 03:04 PM, Roman Semenov wrote:
> I have a question regarding the subject:Is the krb5_ccahe thread safe at all when it's of type MEMORY?

Yes.  Memory ccache objects are internally locked, as is the global
table mapping names to memory caches.

> Everything works fine while krb5 FILE type of ccache is in use. ow I want to improve performance and switch to MEMORY type of ccache. And I start getting my app crashed intermittently.

I'm not currently aware of a memory ccache bug which would account for this.

> That makes me think - is the krb5_ccahe thread safe at all when it's of type MEMORY?Should I have a global krb5_context associated with that cache in this scenario?

No, it's fine to use the same memory ccache with different krb5_context
objects, and is preferrable in a multi-threaded program since
krb5_context objects are not themselves internally locked.