krb5_verify_user

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk at mit.edu
Mon Jan 8 19:14:56 EST 2018

On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 09:49:06PM +0000, Imanuel Greenfeld wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Hope you're well.
>

> Happy new year.
>

> I am looking for krb5_verify_user function under krb5/krb5.h and in fact
> anywhere but cannot find it.
>

> I know it's not recommended to use it with the password, but I want to see
> if I can prove the point.
>

> I am therefore getting compilation error for the function needing a
> prototype.
>

> I'm using 1.16 and also tried on 1.15.2
>

> Any ideas please ?

krb5_verify_user() is a function in the Heimdal implementation of
Kerberos, but is not present in MIT krb5.

Upon cursory examination, it seems that
krb5_get_init_creds_password() and krb5_verify_init_creds() together
might be a suitable replacement.  Note that it requires the caller
to have access to a service keytab (and the principal name must be
specified if it is not host/<localhost>).

-Ben