Linux ksu (kerberized super user) command fails to use cached service (host) tickets... how can I do this?

Fabiano Tarlao ftarlao at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 09:34:20 EST 2017

Thanks Ben for your tips.
I have tried again, I examined deeply the TGS request/response performed by
*ksu* and I found out that the correct service is: host/authdemo4 at ADDEMO.IT

I have tried with kvno to insert the service ticket into the cache:

Insert TGT:
$ kinit kservice -c ./prova.cc
Password for kservice at ADDEMO.IT:

Insert service ticket:
$ kvno host/authdemo4 at ADDEMO.IT -c ./prova.cc
host/authdemo4 at ADDEMO.IT: kvno = 17

Check cache content:
$ klist -c ./prova.cc
Ticket cache: FILE:./prova.cc
Default principal: kservice at ADDEMO.IT

Valid starting       Expires              Service principal
11/09/2017 15:18:53  11/10/2017 01:18:53  krbtgt/ADDEMO.IT at ADDEMO.IT
        renew until 11/10/2017 15:18:48
11/09/2017 15:19:07  11/10/2017 01:18:53  host/authdemo4 at ADDEMO.IT
        renew until 11/10/2017 15:18:48

Invoke ksu:
$ ksu kservice -n kservice at ADDEMO.IT -c FILE:./prova.cc
Authenticated kservice at ADDEMO.IT
Account kservice: authorization for kservice at ADDEMO.IT successful
Changing uid to kservice (50006)
groups: cannot find name for group ID 50024
kservice at authdemo4:/home/userlab$

It works BUT it always ignores the service ticket and performs again from
scratch a TGS request for host/authdemo4.
I have also checked (with Wireshark) differences between the responses of
the ksu and kno requests, ->I<- don't notice any difference (see attached
image):
[image: Inline images 1]:

I have also tried using *ksu* more than once without purging the cache and
the TGS request is performed again, each time.

*Has this to be filed as a ksu bug? (Y/N)*
It looks ksu behaviour doesn't adhere to the behaviour described in the
documentation. I quote again:

Otherwise, ksu looks for an appropriate Kerberos ticket in the source
cache. The ticket can either be for the end-server or a ticket granting
ticket (TGT) for the target principal’s realm. If the ticket for the
end-server is already in the cache, it’s decrypted and verified. If it’s
not in the cache but the TGT is, the TGT is used to obtain the ticket for
the end-server. The end-server ticket is then verified.

*Any other tip?*