Is a keytab file encrypted?

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Fri Jul 21 20:17:09 EDT 2017

You can only use the host key table from a host with the same IP address. The server verifies that the IP address corresponds to the hostname. In theory someone could bring a laptop and plug it in in place of the original host with the same IP address, but that wouldn’t let them compromise anything they couldn’t already get if they had root on the original host. We do lots of monitoring. If one of our hosts disappears, we’ll notice. If they replace it with another host at the same IP address that’s close enough to the original that we don’t  notice, it’s not clear what is being compromised. They’re just giving us free hardware...

And at least in our situation, we have various groups of systems at different security levels. So you could compromise that user on one cluster, but not system-wide.