Kerberos OTP with FreeRadius

Felix Weissbeck contact-kerberos at w7k.de
Fri Jul 7 05:04:47 EDT 2017

Hi,

Am Freitag, 7. Juli 2017, 07:54:19 CEST schrieb Brennecke, Simon:
> Here is were I am a bit unsure now. I kinda expect "kinit -p simon" now to
> either ask me for my password AND my OTP token, or at least fail with some
> error message. But instead it succeeds if I just enter my password.

As far as i understand the pre-auth, it succeeds if you enter a correct
password OR if the radius-authentication is successful.

One solution is to remove the password from the kerberos database, so it only
works if the radius auth is successful.
  kadmin -q 'purgekeys -all YOUR_PRINCNAME'
(see: https://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-1.13/doc/admin/pkinit.html)

The  "problem" hereby is, that you can now obtain a kerberos ticket with your
second factor alone; so you could configure PAM to successfully authenticate
with password+token.

I have a setup that asks for a password plus (yubikey or google-auth).
The  PAM-configuration looks like this:

auth    [success=2 default=ignore]      pam_google_authenticator.so
try_first_pass forward_pass
auth    [success=1 default=ignore]      pam_yubico.so id=2 authfile=/etc/
yubikeyid url=http://127.0.0.1/wsapi/2.0/verify?id=%d&otp=%s try_first_pass
auth    requisite                       pam_deny.so
auth    [success=1 default=ignore]      pam_unix.so use_first_pass
auth    requisite                       pam_deny.so
auth    required                        pam_permit.so

> Also can sombody explain how this integrates with PAM-kerberos on a client
> machine? Will PAM then prompt the user for the OTP token and password?

The authentication works with passwordotp suplied as one string.

Hope this helps. If anyone has a better approach please let me know.

Best regards
  Felix