Problem with db master password migrating kerberos server to new machine

Rainer Krienke krienke at uni-koblenz.de
Wed Feb 8 07:33:44 EST 2017

Hello  Greg,

thank you very much for your answer.

> If you configure "master_key_enctype = des3-cbc-sha1" in the [realms]
> subsection for your realm in kdc.conf (or krb5.conf), I believe it
> should work again (in both versions).  Alternatively, you could rotate
> the master key by following this procedure:

This solution did not work for me. I put the master_key_enctype as
described into the krb5.conf and kdc.conf files but a kdb5_util create
-r xyz -s still created a aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96 master key. Next I
tried kdb5_util -k des3-cbc-sha1 create -r xyz -s. This worked in the
sense that the master key was actually a des key, but access via
kadmn.local -m <password> does then not work. Using the new stash file
it works. Perhaps a fixed encryption type  compiled into the binaries?

> http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/krb5-latest/doc/admin/database.html?highlight=master#updating-the-master-key

This solution looks promising. I simply created a new kerberos db,
exported the old one and imported everything on the new server. Using
the old stash file I am able to work with the new database. Carrying out
the described commands in order to add a new master key worked fine.

The only thing I ask myself is, if the new encryption typed available in
this new kerberos version (aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96) could bite an older
client that does not know anything about this enctype but wants to get a
ticket from the server for a principal that has been encrypted with this
new encryption-algorithm during the kdb5_util update_princ_encryption
run, or if a new principal is created?

Is this danger real?

> I am curious why you sometimes use the typed-in master key password when
> you have a stash file.

Well I justed wanted to ensure in the first place that everything that
workes with the old server also does work with the new one. I used
kadmin.local -m just for testing if the master key ist still valid and
working. In general of course I make use of the stash file, but it could
get corrupted or accidentally deleted which might lock me out of the
database.

Thanks you very much
Rainer
--
Rainer Krienke, Uni Koblenz, Rechenzentrum, A22, Universitaetsstrasse 1
56070 Koblenz, Tel: +49261287 1312 Fax +49261287 100 1312