Kerberos and REST

Imanuel Greenfeld imanuel.greenfeld1 at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 7 02:21:16 EST 2017

Hello

I am a C++ developer working on a project in industry.

I have a Windows client which the user submits requests with.

These requests are then sent to a backend process running in the background
on Sun Solaris waiting to process those requests.

I then need to take each of those requests and authenticate using Kerberos
to gain access to a different server to get a response.

Once I go through the Kerberos authentication, I need to submit a JSON
message using REST.  For this I'm using gSoap.

Reading about Kerberos it seems that the client needs to get the Token and
then send with the private encrypted password.  However, the problem is that
once the request been submitted from the user, the client is out of the
picture - I cannot send anything back to it or store anything in it.

I am hoping that I can send the REST call along with the Kerberos
authentication in one go.  For example :-

               .

               soap *ctx = soap_new1(SOAP_C_UTFSTRING);  // set up context
to manage memory

  const char *endpoint = "https://...";

  value req(ctx), res(ctx);                 // new JSON values req and res

  req = "getCurrentTime";                   // request current time

  json_call(ctx,                            // make a call (POST)

      endpoint,                             // the service endpoint URL

      req,                                  // value with the request string

      res)                                  // response, if call is OK

  );

.

So, in  json_call I'd like to incorporate in the ctx the Kerberos
authentication.

Is that possible ?

Any other suggestions please ?

Do you have any C++ examples showing how to implement Kerberos ?

Many thanks in advance.

Imanuel.