More than 2 failed master_kdc servers cause errors

pgb205 pgb205 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 7 16:31:50 EDT 2017

krb5.conf looks like
kdc=server1kdc=server2kdc=server2master_kdc=server1master_kdc=server2master_kdc=server3
server1 and server2 are down. server3 is up and running
Attempting to auth with kinit user_id and above configuration will fail.
However commenting master_kdc=server1 and master_kdc=server2 lines will allow authentication
kdc=server1kdc=server2kdc=server2#master_kdc=server1#master_kdc=server2master_kdc=server3
KRB_TRACE shows that uncommented config only tries first two kdc servers and then just gives up.
I'm not sure if this is a bug with kerberos or something else that I have to fix.