Using enterprise principal name in GSS-API

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Fri Sep 23 10:50:00 EDT 2016

On 09/23/2016 03:52 AM, Isaac Boukris wrote:
> Maybe we need a new gss name type oid like GSS_NT_ENTERPRISE_NAME,
> though I guess it's more complicated than it sounds :)

I think that might be reasonable for this use case.  I've seen requests
to be able to import enterprise principal names before, although (IIRC)
sometimes for use cases where it might not have made as much sense.

The concerns I can immediately think of are:

* Is there any prior art we should try to be compatible with?  I don't
see any in Heimdal, and MS doesn't directly implement GSS-API, so I
don't think there is.

* If someone uses one of these GSS names in a different scenario (e.g.
for an acceptor credential), will it fail gracefully?  I believe that's
generally the case.

* Does canonicalization at cred acquisition time pose any issues for the
GSS-API model, because the name you get creds for won't be the same as
the name you asked for?  gss_acquire_cred_with_password() is an
extension, not a standardized part of the API, so I think it shouldn't
be a problem.