AD integration (ticket size) question

Robbie Harwood rharwood at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 20:26:34 EST 2016

Jerry Shipman <jes59 at cornell.edu> writes:

> We have cross-realm authentication with an Active Directory
> installation. We run into occasional issues with the AD kerberos
> tickets being too large to fit into applications buffers, etc -- I
> guess because of all the group information in the PAC (i.e. users who
> are in a lot of AD groups have larger tickets).
>
> On my side of the integration, we're never using that PAC information
> anyway. Is there a way that I can get rid of that information, either
> on the KDC side or on the client side?  I am thinking things like:

My understanding is very limited, but I know you can turn this off on
the AD-side using something like [1] on at least a per-server basis.  I
don't have a machine to test with, unfortunately.

What applications are you seeing breakage with, NFS itself?  I would've
expected most programs to not care about sizes (unless they become truly
excessive).  If it's NFS itself, the article suggests that GSS-Proxy [2]
may alleviate some issues as well, though I haven't personally used it
with AD.

Thanks,
--Robbie

1: http://blog.evad.io/2014/11/04/kerberos-protected-nfs-with-active-directory-and-the-pac/