Call to set_com_err_hook() triggers abort

Isaac Boukris iboukris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 04:06:59 EST 2016

Hello,

We are getting random core dumps of httpd on our QA machines and I'm
trying to understand what could cause it.
We have some initialization code which calls set_com_err_hook() with a
static C++ class method, and the crash occurs right afterwards (looks
like com_err_initialize return error, but I have no further info for
now as it happens randomly).

The top of the stack looks like this:
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0xf7d94ba0 in raise () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0xf7d964b1 in abort () from /lib/libc.so.6
#3  0xf7251acf in set_com_err_hook (
    new_proc=0xf6565180 <CPP_NS::CPP_CLASS::CPP_STATIC_METHOD(char
const*, long, char const*, char*)>) at com_err.c:156

Anyone seen this before? Any idea what may be the cause of it?

Thank you!