Building your own vs. deploying OS packaged version of MIT Kerberos?

Tareq Alrashid tareq at qerat.com
Fri May 13 10:47:09 EDT 2016

The new world order seem to demand some adjustments to how we do things nowadays with on premise and cloud service deployment.  We know how many OS’es come with prebuilt versions Kerberos RHEL/OS X…etc.,  and I am starting to ponder if efficiency could be optimized if we no longer built our own Kerberos binaries from downloaded MIT source, but rather just configure OS’s e.g. RHEL 7 version of krb5-1.13?  RedHat does release security patches with OS patches and that can save us some manual labor.

Is this an obvious non-issue as which version we choose to deploy or is the known philosophy, I have been following since 1999; download from MIT and build on my own.

I have my own opinion, but I also wonder what others had in mind

Thank you,
Tareq