about the location of the log file in /etc/krb5.conf

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Mon Feb 29 11:25:54 EST 2016

On 02/26/2016 06:22 AM, Giuseppe Mazza wrote:
> In other words I make the change, restart the service krb5-kdc,
> I can see entries in "tail -f /var/log/krb5kdc/krb5kdc.log"
> coming in, but when I Ctrl-c "tail -f /var/log/krb5kdc/krb5kdc.log"
> the file /var/log/krb5kdc/krb5kdc.log is empty.

To address an earlier reply: it does not matter whether you specify the
logfile location in krb5.conf or in kdc.conf.  You certainly don't need
to specify it in both places.

krb5kdc and kadmind will reopen their log files upon receiving a SIGHUP.
 You can configure logrotate to do this with a postrotate command; there
are examples in the logrotate man page.

Neither kadmind nor krb5kdc will delete its own logfile.  In the
scenario described in your most recent message, some other agent must be
deleting the logfile, but I don't know what it might be if it's not
logrotate.