Quick question related to Kerberos + AES256 + SHA2

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Thu Feb 25 09:02:47 EST 2016

Hey,

You cannot mix any set of algorithms you want, but you need a predefined encryption type.  Compare it to TLS' ciphersuites if you like.
`
The standardised list is available on
http://www.iana.org/assignments/kerberos-parameters/kerberos-parameters.xhtml

The closest to what you are asking is aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96; it uses a SHA1 hash cut off to a 96 bit prefix as a MAC, if I remember correctly.  Chase the link if you need more detail / certainty.

As far as I know, MIT Kerberos will use this encryption type by default.  Can't speak for Heimdal, Shishi or AD.

-Rick