Cross-Realm Admins

Kemper, Stephan stephan.kemper at viasat.com
Tue Dec 20 12:56:20 EST 2016

Hi Greg,

OK, that’s what I was afraid of.  It’ll make things a bit tricker, but I think we’ve identified a way to manage that.  Thanks for the information!

Stephan Kemper
ViaSat, Inc.

On 12/19/16, 8:54 PM, "Greg Hudson" <ghudson at mit.edu> wrote:

    On 12/19/2016 03:50 PM, Kemper, Stephan wrote:
    > The problem is with our admin principals.  I can’t seem to get our KDC to hand me the service ticket that I want.  Each time I run a `kinit -S kadmin/admin at B.VIASAT.COM -c ccache skemper/admin at VIASAT.COM` I get back a service of kadmin/admin at VIASAT.COM, the root realm.

    kinit performs an AS request.  AS requests cannot be cross-realm, and
    the kinit -S flag can only specifies the name part of the service
    principal, not the realm.

    Because kadmin tickets must be obtained via AS request, there isn't
    currently any way to do cross-realm administration; each realm must have
    its own administrative principals.