sso authentication via a physical load-balancer towards a WebLogic server

Adi Leica adileica at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 18:20:08 EST 2015

Hello Kerberos Community.

At the organisation where I work we are trying to achieve SSO
authentication using Kerberos mechanism on the following setup:

- physical load-balancer (machine1) receiving incoming http sessions,
but redirecting the traffic to a WebLogic Server (machine2).

The application deployed on the WLS instance is the one expected to allow
or disallow a user to login, but the exposed URL is the one of the frontend
Load Balancer.

The Service Account in MS AD has an account with the logon HTTP/
machine1.mydomain.com at mydomain.com

Is this correct ?
Our WebLogic instance has the keytab of machine1 as a parameter, but  is
not able to allow automatic login for users.

We only managed to make it work with an SPN of HTTP/
machine2.mydomain.com at mydomain.com and accesing the URL exposed by
machine2, but this is not what we want.

Thank you in advance for any advice about what we might be missing.

Regards,
Adrian