Smart lock protocol

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Fri Mar 13 02:10:42 EDT 2015

Hello again,

I had a few more thoughts on this idea of yours to use Kerberos for
your door locks:

* When you apply cross-realm tactics (which we are working on for
Kerberos, http://realm-xover.arpa2.net/kerberos.html ) you have an
identification of your visitors, even when they are granted access
in some generic manner, e.g. during an open house event.

* I use a SIP phone as my front door bell; it dials my home number,
which is also a SIP number and which I can also pickup on other
locations.  One scenaria that isn’t currently supported is the package
delivery bloke that I might want to give temporary / guarded access.

* The Kerberos-based access enables you to release tokens that
are valid only in particular windows.  So your cleaning staff can be
assigned access for precisely an hour, and your visitors are welcome
for the two days that they are staying with you.  Moreover, combined
with the remotely answered door bell, the package delivery bloke
could be granted 5 minutes worth of access.

* Tickets expire at a set time and date.  It may be possible to integrate
that with the hardware of the door, and bar the door automatically when
the time has passed.  This would also be helpful with the 5-minute
window granted to the package delivery bloke; it would also help to
avoid that cleaning staff can stay in the house for longer than you
desire, when you are present.

Let us know how you continue, please!

Cheers,
 -Rick