back-referenced wildcards in kadm5.acl

John Devitofranceschi jdvf at optonline.net
Sat Mar 7 16:07:51 EST 2015

> On Mar 7, 2015, at 3:17 PM, John Devitofranceschi <jdvf at optonline.net> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 17, 2014, at 7:45 PM, Kenneth MacDonald <Kenneth.MacDonald at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Quoting John Devitofranceschi <jdvf at optonline.net> on Thu, 17 Jul 2014
>> 15:51:06 -0400:

>>> I can get it to work with other wild card use cases, like:
>>>
>>> *@MYREALM.COM cli   *1/admin at MYREALM.COM
>>>
>>> Just not the example I gave originally.
>>
>> This is because the wildcard matching only operates on whole
>> components, not substrings of them.  There are various patches
>> floating around that extend this to regular expressions or substrings.
>> I have one, but I'm on holiday at the moment.  I'll try to remember
>> to follow up when I get back.
>
> I just started looking into this again, this time with 1.13.1 and my results are the same as when I tried last year.
>
> Any patches or advice welcome!
>
> jd

I just realized that there was not much in the way of context from my original message, so here is what I'm trying to do:

If I want to allow the host principal for a given system to manage other hostname-based principals for the same host (to enable some kind of automation, say), based on the documentation, I would expect that an entry in kadm5.acl that looks like this:

host/*@MYREALM.COM x */*1 at MYREALM.COM

would permit:

	 host/system1.myrealm.com at MYREALM.COM

to create: