ktadd default enctype

John Devitofranceschi jdvf at optonline.net
Fri Jun 5 07:24:06 EDT 2015

How is ktadd *supposed* to figure out which enctype(s) to use?

I am seeing an issue where kadmin’s ktadd, if left to its own devices, will generate a key with an encryption type that has nothing to do with the KDC’s supported_enctype list and ktadd seems to completely ignore the local client’s default/permitted enctype settings.

KDC supports: des3-cbc-sha1 des-cbc-crc (I know, I know)

Client’s krb5.conf tells it to support: des-cbc-crc (I know, I know)

But when we run ktadd the resulting keytab’s key has des-cbc-md5

The  client is an Oracle Linux with 1.6.1 krb5 client software.

Also, the KDC is using Sun Solaris 10 Kerberos software (not MIT).

Thanks for any insight!

jd