Renaming principals causes them to disappear

Greg Hudson ghudson at mit.edu
Tue Feb 3 14:20:16 EST 2015

On 02/03/2015 08:09 AM, Rasmus Borup Hansen wrote:
> I'm trying to find all the steps necessary for successfully changing a username on our system, and it appears that when I try to rename the corresponding principal using kadmin, the principal just disappears (see the transcript below).

I have duplicated this problem; rename_principal breaks all the time
with LDAP, but works with BDB.  This has likely been the case since
rename_principal was introduced in release 1.10.  (We only recently
added automated tests for the LDAP KDB module, and do not yet test all
of the same things as we do with the BDB module.)

I have opened an issue here:

    https://krbdev.mit.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=8065

The fix is not completely trivial, so I may not get to it immediately.
When I do have a fix prepared, I would guess that you will need to
rebuild from source in order to take advantage of it, as getting a fix
pulled up to an Ubuntu stable release can be a long process.

Thanks for reporting this.