Unable to create renewable ticket when we switched to a 1.12 KDC

Ishaan Joshi ishaan at cloudera.com
Fri Aug 21 14:51:53 EDT 2015

Ben, Greg,

   Thanks a bunch for the quick responses. Let me restate the problem we
faced ( which is exactly what Ben described):

    Our earlier behaviour was to issue the following kinit to periodically
renew our daemon's ticket: "kinit -r <time_string> -k -t <keytab>
<service_name>". The time_string was hard coded to a day. The renewal time
was controlled by another option that was passed in.

    When we first ran against a 1.12 KDC, the ticket became non renewable
because the hard coded value for time_string happened to be equal to the
ticket_lifetime in the krb5.conf.

   I have a few follow on questions:

   - Can I assume that our previous behaviour was incorrect, and we just
   got lucky because it was not enforced.
   - Do we need to use the -r flag, given that the ticket is renewed
   periodically.
   - Are there any risks to passing in a value via -l on older KDCs, apart
   from overriding the value in the krb5.conf.

Thanks !

Ishaan