Default Initiating Credentials

Jeffery Dowell jeffery.dowell at duke.edu
Wed Apr 29 12:35:03 EDT 2015

Hello -

I have a new challenge that has presented itself as more of our community has started using the new version of MIT Kerberos for Windows. We have had several reports of the below error inside SAP while using MIT Kerberos to authenticate.

GSS-AP(maj): Unspecified GSS failure
GSS-API(min): Unknown code 0
Couldn't inquire DEFAULT INITIATING credentials
Return Code -4
System call gss_inquire_cred
Counter 1

Staff reports indicate that the error begins when a user attempts to destroy their tickets and then close out MIT Kerberos. They receive a message indicating that this is their default credential and it asks for confirmation. The next time the user starts Kerberos they can get a ticket but when they try to open a connection in SAP the above message is received. The ticket appears bold as if it is currently set default and they default button is greyed out. We have found that recreating the user profile in windows fixes this issue. I can't seem to replicate this scenario manually and it only occurs on a small portion of our computers.

Environment:
Windows 7 64
SAP 7.40
MIT Kerberos for Windows 4.0.1