specifying an alternate realm/krb5.conf configuration for kdc5.conf

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Apr 24 18:27:31 EDT 2015

In regard to: Re: specifying an alternate realm/krb5.conf configuration for...:

> 2) Set KRB5REALM=REALMB in /etc/sysconfig/krb5kdc
>
> #2 is working for me, and is maybe the correct answer to this question.

For RHEL-derived systems, that is the appropriate way to do what you're
trying to do.

Setting KRB5REALM=REALMB in /etc/sysconfig/krb5kdc causes the krb5kdc
init script to be passed the following additional arg on startup:

 	-r REALMB

If you look at the man page for krb5kdc, you'll see:

    The  -r  realm  option  specifies the realm for which the server should
    provide    service;    by    default    the    realm    returned by
    krb5_default_local_realm(3) is used.

It's krb5_default_local_realm() that's reading krb5.conf.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)